August 15, 2009

Night time nibbles



On Friday night I arranged for a few of the mums from school to get together and have a little drink and chat at our local beauticians house where some of us proceeded to get plucked, waxed and tinted. I have now decided the best way to get a wax is after a glass of champers- that sting of pain doesn't seem to last all that long, especially if you have another glass!

Because I pretty much invited myself and a few others around I said I would bring some nibbles. When Friday rocked around my day was flat out and full speed ahead, 7 pm screamed around well before I was ready for it which also meant I had prepared nothing for our little gathering. After deciding I just didn't have the energy to whip something up (and I am a slackker for thinking a bottle of wine would be fine) I was reaching into the freezer for something when I spotted the last two sheets of puff pastry stuck to the bottom freezer draw.

This got me thinking..... what if I just whipped up a batch on mini quiches? everyone loves those, right? I looked inside the fridge for fillings and found some ham and jalapenos, olives and semi dried tomatoes- perfect! It was an after dinner affair so I decided to make them extra mini so they just popped into your mouth; two bites and your done sort of nibble. Because we are all still getting to know each other, I put ham and jalapenos with a soft cheese while the olive and semi dried went together with parmesan cheese (covering my bases just in case there was a vego).

From start to finish the quiches were made, baked and ready to go within 20 minutes which left me half an hour to sit down with Nic and catch up on his day before heading out the door. The quiches went down a treat all except when our beauty therapist bit into the jalapeno and nearly passed out (well not quite) I kind of forgot to tell them the peppers were in there- Oops!
Next time I decided to invite myself around to someones house or vice versa I will make sure I have a constant supply of puff pastry in the freezer for this super fast, tasty and cute looking nibble.

To make your own simply spray a muffin tin with cooking spray, line the muffin holes with puff pastry, fill with any ingredient you like then beat together 2-3 eggs with 1/4 cup of milk or cream, salt and pepper and pour gently into your moulds. For my quiches I had about 1 tablespoon of egg mix per quiche.
Bake in a hot oven (200/400) for approx 15 minutes.
Your quiches will 'puff', so you know they are ready to pull out of the oven.


Run a knife around the top to release from the pan then place on a wire rack to cool.
Another note to ones self- quiches of all sizes will freeze really well, just pop them in a medium hot oven to reheat.

2 comments:

Trish said...

my goodness those look good! I'm starving....this is surely something I will try

TKW said...

I love it! Isn't it great to just look around in the refrig/freezer/pantry and come up with something delicious without having to run out to the store? Yummy...